kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Smart tort....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Linda on August 11, 2001 at 14:29:18:

In Reply to: Re: Smart tort.... posted by Georgia on August 11, 2001 at 11:07:49:

: : : I have been home on vacation all this week, a vacation with no plans. Among many things I have been enjoying the all day company of our two sulcatas. Buster, the younger one, in particular. The two of us have gone on walks through the neighborhood and he has been touring the house every morning. He is allowed to do this because he keeps his own house clean. Tonka...well that's another story. Anyway this morning after basking in the sun Buster came up to the sliding screen door, waited for it to open and I guess got impatient and decided to take matters into his own "legs" and opened it himself. We have one of those dog guards on the outer side of the screen and he pushed it with his left front leg/spurs until it slide open wide enough for him to enter. He walked around the house for about half an hour and then went to the door to be let out. Early in the afternoon, he got very frustrated when he tried but it wouldn't move because he had the glass door there instead of the screen. He tried again just an hour ago and this time was successful. Smart tort...it will be interesting to see if he ignores the door in the future when it's the glass door and not the screen.

: : Hi Georgia,
: : I'm pretty new to this forum and am trying to get all the help I can for my sulcata,Maggie.How old are your torts,and how long have you had them?

: Hi Linda...We have had Buster since he was the size of my palm. We have had him close to five years. He weighs about 20 lbs. and so far is a sweetheart. Tonka we have had a little over a year now. He is twice the size of Buster and estimated to be 10/15 y/o, so the former owners were told. We had been pondering an adoption of one more sulcata for quite a while when through the forum we meant a couple who lived really close by and we went to visit them and Tonka...then known as Skippy. Tonka had been a gift to the man from his daughters for Father's Day....a big surprise. As they had learned more about sulcatas, they began to worry about being able to care for him. Any way to make a long story shorter if possible, we purchased Tonka. We hadn't planned on this at all. But my husband liked him and so did I. I also knew that these people had had calls from people to purchase Tonka sight unseen. My thoughts....they wanted him for breeding. Sooooo to the rescue....we purchased him. I did not want him used for breeding. There are way too many of these sweet, cute little monsters out there that people have given up on. Tonka wasn't going to provide any more. People can say want ever they want but that is how I feel about it. If it had turned out that Buster was female, there would be no babies no matter what it took. As it turned out Buster is a male and we have to keep them separated. I had been our hope that we would be able to keep them together but that is impossible. Our yard isn't what it use to be but we make do. Good luck with your Maggie...do you know for sure Maggie is a female. LOL

Sounds like you are the one I want to talk to....lol. We were told that Maggie is a girl,but we all know how that goes don't we.She is supposed to be about three y/o and she is ten inches from one end of the shell to the other.What state do you live in?We are in Texas.We were given Maggie by a relative who couldn't take care of her any more.I didn't think I would like her ,but I fell in love with her.She is so easy going and mellow.I love to watch her in the yard.She is in a 3' by 6' pen with a house right now,but would like to section off a 20' by 30' part of the yard(so the dogs can't get in) for her next spring.How will I fix it so she doesn't dig under and get out.She has already started to try to dig in the corners of the pen.I am going to try to get some pics of her on here soon.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]