kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tortoise shell-Will Terry read this please.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Sharon E. Chancellor on August 11, 2001 at 02:19:07:

In Reply to: Re: Tortoise shell-Will Terry read this please. posted by Toby on August 10, 2001 at 22:49:06:

: I was told by a respectable source that Tortoise shell is the same stuff as horse hoof. This gentlemen recommneded that I get a product that is used to add moisture to horse hoofs. You can buy it at farm supply stores and its a carmel looking paste, almost a vaseline texture. I have tried it once on one of my older desert torts with no ill effects. I would like to hear Terry comment on this and his opinion of the "horse hoof" cream.

: Toby

Hi Toby,
I'm not Terry, but I am a reformed equine addict. I used this product on my horses hooves as it was supposed to help prevent cracks, crumbling, and heel splits in horse hooves by sealing the outside of the hoof and keeping moisture from evaporating. It attracts dirt like crazy and my horses hooves would always be gummed up around the top of the their hooves. It never impressed me in the 22 years of keeping and showing horses. Horses do not reply on thermoregulation to maintain body temps and they don't angle their hooves into the sun to absorb heat. If you put this oily paste on your tortoise's shell, it will gum up with dirt and decrease your animal's ability to warm up. It will also promote fungal and bacterial growth under this gooey layer and perhaps your tortoise will end up with a nice case of shell rot.

As a former equine enthusiast and a current chelonian enthusiast, I would highly advise against using Hoof Flex on your tortoise.

Take care!
--Sharon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]