kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: UK news . Here is Chris Newmens article. sorry bout that blasted key

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by board !!! Kevin Lorentz on August 09, 2001 at 13:48:28:

In Reply to: UK news PLEASE do not let this happen to us in North America posted by Kevin Lorentz on August 09, 2001 at 12:16:54:

: Posted by Chris Newman on August 09, 2001

The Big Herp. Issue (June 2001)

In the UK herp. keeping is facing its darkest hour as the hobby is under attack from all sides, from the antis to government. The reasons why are hard to define. The ‘antis’ are a small but vociferous, and sometimes violent, group that oppose the keeping, not just of reptiles but of all animals in captivity. What are their motives? To be honest I’m not sure. Perhaps some of those involved genuinely believe their actions actually help the animals, but others involved in this movement I am sure have ulterior motives. The biggest threat to the continuance of the reptile trade or hobby, in any form, is apathy. We seem to have an amazing ability to sit around and do nothing but say ‘it will never happen’. The unfortunate thing is that all those things we thought could never happen are actually taking place right now.

A couple of days ago, I turned 42. Not a major drama (I stopped counting at 40) but what it did signify, and which is important to me, is the start of my 38th year in herpetology. This started me thinking and reflecting over that time and how the world, and herpetology had changed. Sadly I concluded that the change had not necessarily been for the better.

I still vividly remember my first snake. For my fifth birthday I received Hector, an Italian grass snake. Now I have to confess that Hector did not see my sixth birthday; he went to the great vivarium in the sky before them. He was the first reptile that I killed through ignorance and he certainty wasn’t the last. Sad and unfortunate though his demise was, however, I hope that I have learned from all my experiences, good and bad, and the knowledge I have, thus, gained has enabled me to improve my herpetoculture to the point where I have brought more herps. into the world that I have taken from it.

Like everyone, I’ve made mistakes, but it is in this way that we make advances and teach the next generation of herpetologists (if there is one) not to repeat our errors. When I think back, just over the last decade or two, the advances we have made in herpetoculture (I hate that word) are staggering. The number of species that we keep today, and even breed, were considered impossible perhaps as little as ten years ago. Keeping reptiles and amphibians in captivity has resulted in a far greater understanding of their needs and their biological processes and has led to a greater acceptance of what is much maligned and misunderstood group of animals.

Reptiles and amphibians in the wild are under increasing pressure from habitat destruction, the food trade and the skin trade and captive breeding programmes for some species could be the only way of ensuring their long-term survival. How, then, can those opposing the trade in animals for the pet trade stand on the conservation platform? It really does not make sense. Educating the public of the value of reptiles, both in captivity and in the wild, can be another important role of the amateur herpetologist and the reptile show was once a really important way of getting this message across. Another important (for the reptiles) function destroyed by a few misguided individuals who will stop at nothing to impose their minority views on the masses.

It is tempting to look back and think of ‘the good old days’ of reptile keeping. Perhaps time clouds the memory, but then perhaps not. Evolution is an inevitable process, nothing really stays the same, and as herpetologists we must also change. It is time to bury the hatchet, and not into each others backs. The world of herpetology has traditionally been divided but now if we don’t start to pull together, all of us, then what is the future? I simply don’t see one.

As the dinosaurs did not see the impending comet that signified there annihilation, perhaps we are blind to our potentially similar destiny. There is still time to fight those who want to stop the reptile fraternity, but it is short and we simply cannot afford to waste it with our petty differences. We don’t have to like each other to work together. What is important is that we all have a genuine interest and passion for our animals. Don’t let a few misguided individuals undermine all that we have done, all that we have achieved and all the we have learned. If we all fight together we can beat this......united we stand, divided we fall.

Chris Newman: chris-newman@cviewmedia.com
Editor Reptilian Magazine

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]