kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: sulcatas shell flaky in places

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Marissa on August 06, 2001 at 21:10:10:

In Reply to: Re: sulcatas shell flaky in places posted by kristin on August 06, 2001 at 16:57:43:

Well, I know for sure that T-Rex brand "tortoise pellets" is a food that is high in proteins...I can definitely assure you it is not a good food for an herbivorous tortoise like the sulcata. I would discontinue using that food altogther and immediately. You are not going to be getting rid of any pyramiding by continuing to contribute to it like you are when feeding a food like that.

Can you be more specific with the "mixed greens and some veggies"? Mixed greens might be okay, depending on what greens you are using and at what variety...the "veggies" is concerning because these are mostly grazing tortoises and most vegetables you will find in the grocery store will not be appropriate for using regularly for any type of feeding.

Obviously UVB lighting is good, when you say you are trying to get rid of pyramiding, what exactly are you doing to try to get rid of it?

Have you seen any of the sulcata websites or care sheets? If not, you might want to check out the diet info so that you are able to coincide your diet regimen with something more appropriate for a sulcata. I have linked a website below to get you started...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]