kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

helping animals and finding balance- for Meg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Theresa on August 05, 2001 at 23:14:54:

Re: 80 lbs Sulcata adoption and a new smaller one - meg 08/04/01 (1)

: dear theresa,

: how long have you been rehabilitating? i heard other rehabbers say it is the constant cycle of abuse and neglect they see which is the worst. Why do you say adopting is most stressful? i would think that it would make a rehabilitator happy to see a turtle get a good home? i think that is how i would feel.

Hi Meg,
Thanks for your post and I responded on that thread but you didnt leave an email addy to mail you off list. The words:
<>
resonated over the day and brought about some interesting thoughts that just may or should apply to everyone.

Giving so much in life where anything is defined as a 'non stop cycle of abuse', cant be good or healthy for your well-being.

The box turtles I usually wind up helping are victims of a system and laws that aren't working (collected in for the pet trade) and only as space and time is available do I extend myself in this manner. The day the quote above even remotely even begins to apply to any aspect of my own life, its time to rethink why im doing it!

Who we are, is defined by so much more then by how many animals we help, our work , things we own or or even relationships that are held dear.

My own motivations are as simple as seeing an animal eat own its own or removing the pus from the eyes so it can just see.
Others will tow their weight or things will crumble but I as an individual don't expect to single handedly change the system or alter the course of the planet.

Some solutions/ preventions / alternatives to such stress are really as simple as delegating responsibility.
Recently when overwhelmed with all the tiny box turtles that continue to be found hatched out on our property, and finding homes, I feared having to part with even the ones that I've grow so fond of! But thankfully a friend was delighted to take some and rehome then in her area. Another suggested an area near Houston where there is a preserve for c/b box turtles to be released :)

Its true that some things and situations in life are in a sad state but the emotional toll to those who rehab 24/7/365 and define themselves by this, is just too high.
Better to find a balance and keep the little things we take for granted like family, sanity, and welbeing.

Thanks for the reminder and take care,
tcc :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]