kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Lori Green...Turtle Homes...??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lori@turtlehomes.org on August 04, 2001 at 22:33:26:

In Reply to: Lori Green...Turtle Homes...?? posted by Niki on August 04, 2001 at 21:15:28:

You are EXACTLY RIGHT. You must put the cart before the horse. That is just the way it is. We are a rescue and not a store. Because you put in an application is NOT a guarantee you will adopt.
If somoene one does not wish to do this we can help them find a breeder. In fact most people who are looking for "Free" turtles are turned away. Nothing turns me off more that the "Give me free" attitude. You must have a desire to help an animal in need. You must proove that you can provide for it and you must have a vet that treats reptiles (that isn't just any vet). This is why people come to us daily asking for us to place their pets. I also never waver on this for any reason.
It is easier to purchase an animal than adopt one and I work hard to keep it that way.
I get applications all the time with future plans instead of current situations. Would you adopt a sulcata to someone in an apartment, who promises within 2 years they will have a house with 2 acres of land, or do you want your animal to go to the person who can provide you pictures of lush grazing pastures and reinforced fencing. Think about it.
We do have specific guidelines for all sulcata adoptions. First, warm weather states get preference. I won't take a sulcata from the North and place it in the North unless the owner specifically asks (and then I talk them out of it). You can't be in an apartment. You must show me pictures of your fence. I don't adopt to people who say they are adopting to find a mate for the one they have. We don't want our adoptive sulcatas to breed.
BTW, I had someone put in an application that described their waterfall as a cascading pool. It was a rusty bathtub with a pipe coming out of a rusty can. The water was black. Thank goodness for pictures!
Lori

Lori
: I was wondering what the requirements are from Turtle Homes to
: adopt an animal? I looked at the website, but it seems to
: presume that somebody will make/create/buy a set-up and have
: it there ready and EMPTY waiting to "maybe" be allowed to adopt
: a turtle/tortoise. It just seems like putting the cart before
: the horse in that, Turtle Homes may not "qualify" someone.
: Can you be somewhat specific on your requirements for adopting
: let's say, a large female sulcata? thanks, niki

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]