return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New sulcata owner and setup

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on December 28, 1998 at 23:42:13:

New Sulcata owner & set-up

I have a sulcata that is a few months old. It’s about 4 inches long (front to back across the bottom shell)

Housing - I made an enclosure out of Formica covered wood, and sealed it with aquarium silicone. It’s 24 inches by 48 inches, with 11 inch sides. I may not be able to provide an outdoor enclosure for a few years. I’ll have to move. I only have a small front yard with some grass. How long or at what size will my tortoise outgrow the enclosure?

Substrate - I’m very unclear on the substrate issue. Can I use sand, or a mixture of sand and small pea gravel? I think that someplace I read that there are some tree bark substrates which are toxic. Can I use “fir bark”? It’s available at most pet stores. Can I use an inch and a half of a soft sand and gravel mixture covered with an inch and a half of “fir bark”? It could get very expensive to continuously replace approx. 2,000 cubic inches of substrate. How do you keep it clean? Do you pick out the poop? Do you wash the bark, dry it and reuse it? I think someone also mentioned crusted oyster shells, calling it chicken grit. Can I use this under the “fir bark”

Light & Heat - I’m using a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), and a standard incandescent, with no underground heat. I think I read somewhere in one of the care sheets that this is an acceptable combo. White light to draw the tortoise, heat emitter to warm. The room the tortoise lives in is about 75-78 degrees in the day time and cools to 68-70 at night. The hot zone generally runs 13 degrees hotter than the room temp. The hot zone generally runs 13 degrees hotter than the room temp. Again, any issues?

UVB - I think I read that one half hour of noon time sunlight three times a week is sufficient UVB for a healthy tortoise. I live in So. Calif. I can provide this, with no problem; while grazing on a non-chemical treated lawn too. Must I still provide the UBV light?

-----

I am sad to say, I bought the tortoise the same day I found this website, and had I found this website a day earlier, I would have choose another tortoise to buy. I was totally unprepared; 10 gal. tank, pine shaving substrate, only incandescent lighting, and no real concept of what is involved in owning a sulcata. HOWEVER, I am determined to provide the best environment I can for my sulcata.

My daughter named the tortoise, Flower. So, Flower and my entire family appreciate any insight that is offered. Thank You Bryan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]