return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What's wrong with it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 27, 1998 at 21:49:17:

In Reply to: What's wrong with it? posted by Ian on December 27, 1998 at 18:12:01:

: Hi everyone,
: Recently my greek tortoise has been defecating out all of her food
: undigested. I can see the pieces of greens and the carrots, etc. This doesn't smell
: at all. Also I think she lost A little weight since last thursday. She has been to the vet several
: times and cleared of all her problems. The last thing she had was entoemeba, which I cleared out
: with the medicatioon the vet gave me, the last dose being last Thursday. She also gets
: dehydrated easily, and is back to daily soaks. Up until now she has done
: well through all the shots and medications, and had good stools. THis problem started either the
: 25th or the 26th. She is warm enough since she has a heat pad and a light, and as I mentioned before
: she was fine and eating for a while. She still eats however.
: Thanks in advance,
: Ian

Hi Ian, if your vet is experienced with torts , ask him/her about this new problem. Strong medication can cause sterile gut, you can feed your tort, live cultured yogurt to help combat the condition. It must be ( live cultured ) yogurt. I'm not sure exactly how much you should give it , or for how long.But after strong medication it can help the tort get back on track. Let us know how it goes.
Terry.
Keep up the soaks, as the medication can also cause dehydration.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]