kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: sick sulcatta

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Marissa on July 25, 2001 at 08:14:12:

In Reply to: Re: sick sulcatta posted by Mary on July 24, 2001 at 18:41:16:

Obviously where you live is dry. if you are soaking daily in addition to the water in the pen, I dunno. Sounds as if you are doing everything well. The only thing I can think of is that at 2 years of age, the tortoise might not be able to burrow deep enough to cool off and remain hydrated. Have you been soaking every day all along or only just since you found out about the stone?

: Thanks for replying to my letter. I live in Arizone near Phoenix. He is in a 10 foot by 20 foot fenced place with some shade cloth over half of it because the sun here is very hot. He has hiding places and little burrows all over. He has a little sunken in plant saucer that has his water in it. It is changed every day. He used to eat all morning and sometimes at late afternoons, but now he will not eat at all. He soaks in his water saucer when ever he wants to. He can stay nice and cool in his burrow areas when it is hot outside and he would run around the most at sunrise and evening after it cools off before he got sick.

: Thanks, Mary

: : Surgery will get it out but that is very invasive and could be dangerous. My two year old had a stone and wouldn't eat for weeks at a time. I soaked him like crazy for almost 10 months and miraculously he passed it. The stone was as big as his head, it was a miracle! I soaked him 2-3 times per day and overloaded his system with fluids in hopes of hydrating him enough so he passed it with the urine. Tortoises in captivity get bladder stones from dehydration usually. Mostly from keeping them in glass fishtanks with high heat and no temp gradient. Lack of soaking or providing a microclimate that has a humidity level will do it. Can you give us some description on how you are keeping the tortoise and your husbandry regimen?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]