kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What does 'sensitive' mean for star tortoises?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nick on July 22, 2001 at 18:25:18:

I'm looking to bring a tortoise into my life, but am concerned about which kind is best suited for survival. i really like the star tortoises, but i keep hearing about how sensitive they are. i understand that these are animals that have spent countless generations adapting to a specific environment and by removing that creature from it's ancestral home (even captive bred), there is an inherent and constant risk of trouble involved. some species are said to be 'hardier' than others, namely sulcattas, leopards from what i've read on the internet. of course, no animal can or should withstand an excessive amount of stress, but i guess what i'm getting at here is this; is there a margin of error with star tortoises? i'll try to provide the best environment possible for the animal, and care for it as best I can. but living in the washington DC area, we get cold winters here and power outtages, although rare, do occur. i lost a young dumeril's boa a few years ago to such an occurence (an ice storm) he was only exposed for a couple hours before i took him across town to a friend's house, but he developed a nasty respiratory infection that got the better of him. i'm not planning on taking the tortoise snowboarding or anything (okay, not funny...) but in all seriousness, are star tortoises so delicate that they're much better off in subtropical climates? or is it just babies that are so fragile. i've tried to read as much as i can on star tortoises, on the internet, and in the archives of this forum, on basic husbandry of the species. a warm, fairly dry environment, with a fluorescent UVB bulb when it's cold out and a basking spot, with hiding places and a heat gradient. they should be fed a diet of tough, fibrous vegetation, like clover, grasses, cacti pads, some dark leafy greens (?) does the sensitivity of star tortoises make it so that if there is a slight deviation from optimum, the animal will perish? i haven't been able to find any information regarding that. if anyone can help me, or at least chide me for my ignorance, i'd appreciate the responses. thanks for your time
nick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]