kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: *Thank you Dave...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Annie Lancaster-TortoiseAid on July 21, 2001 at 15:28:53:

In Reply to: *Thank you Dave... posted by Nick on July 21, 2001 at 14:34:34:

Prepetuating the breeding of G. agassizzi does cause problems. Good homes, maybe, but who is to say down the road one of thsoe people won't release ananimal? It does happen ,we get tortosies like that in here all the time...and not just desert tortoises.

If someone promotes breeding, they need to be informed of the laws. If I were to breed Desert Tortosies here, my warden would NOT be happy, and I wouldn't be doing desert tortoise rehab any longer, that is for certian!

Here is the law, just FYI.

CHAPTER 5.
NATIVE REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS

40. General Provisions Relating to Native Reptiles and Amphibians.

###########################################
Prohibition on Take, Possession, Purchase, PROPOGATION, Sale, Import, or Export.

It is unlawful to take, possess, purchase, PROPOGATE, sell, transport, import or export any native reptile or amphibian, or part thereof, except as provided in this chapter and in Chapter 2 of this subdivision relating to sportfishing and frogging.
######################################

42. Protected Reptiles.
Except under special permit from the department issued pursuant to sections 650 and 670.5 of these regulations, or Section 2081 of the Fish and Game Code, none of the following reptiles may be taken or possessed at any
time.
(a) Blunt-nosed leopard lizard (Gambelia sila).
(b) Banded Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum cinctum).
(c) Southern rubber boa (Charina bottae umbratica).
(d) Alameda whipsnake (Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus).
(e) San Francisco garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia).
(f) Giant garter snake (Thamnophis gigas).
(g) Desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizi).
(h) Panamint alligator lizard (Gerrhonotus panamintinus).
(i) Sonora mud turtle (Kinosternon sonoriense).
(j) Island night lizard (Xantusia riversiana).
(k) Flat-tailed horned lizard (Phrynosoma mcallii).
(l) San Diego mountain kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata pulchra).
(m) Coachella Valley fringe-toed lizard (Uma inornata).
(n) Switak's barefoot gecko (Coleonyx switaki). (o) Leaf-toed gecko
(Phyllodactylus xanti).
(p) Granite night lizard (Xantusia henshawi).
(q) Orange-throated whiptail (Cnemidophorus hyperythrus).
(r) Black legless lizard (Anniella pulchra nigra).
(s) Coast horned lizard (Phrynosoma coronatum).
(t) Western pond turtle (Clemmys marmorata).
(u) San Joaquin coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum ruddocki).
(v) Two striped garter snake (Thamnophis hammondii).

: : I didn't get the impression that Nick would be releasing his babies into the wild.

Nor did I, but the law is the law and is in place for any number of reasons. I see the (bad) results of breeding DT's all the time.

BTW, it is not only California with this law...all states in which G. agassizzi is native..it is illegal to breed (propagate)

In some states, it is even illegal to have a male and female housed together. WHen we place animals for adoption here...we never place males and females together. Females aren't even aailable for adoption until we are certain they are not retaining sperm any longer. This is the law...whether we like it or not.

As a matter of fact the place where I adopted my pair of Desert Tortoises encourages breeding them.

Then they need to be educated, and could lose Fish and Game licensing by giving out that type of advice.

As far as incubating DT eggs...here that is something that happens naturally...I've not incubaed DT eggs in an incubator..but have in the past had a female sneak a nest past me, here they incubate in the ground, with no human intervention.

Regards,

Annie Lancaster

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]