kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Terry, we are helping James in this post, not Lisa. Lisa is yours :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Marissa on July 20, 2001 at 22:08:24:

In Reply to: Re: Terry, remember when we went thru this with Angel?/ No......... posted by Terry on July 20, 2001 at 22:00:01:

:
: Only kidding, of course I do.

: It was my first question at this forum a few years ago,when I got my first sulcata Angel. Something like " Help, what's the white suff coming out of my sulcata"!
: All in caps if I remember correctly! lol.
: Marissa replied to me and set me on the right track.

: Lisa,
: Marissa gave you a link which should answer your question.
: It's uric acid/urates and is normal. Only if it's hard/concentrated or gritty should you be worried, as it could mean that the tortoise is dehydrated.
: If it's gel like or creamy, then it's fine.

: The tortoises poops/stools though should be firm and a dark brown/slightly green in color.

: It sounds as if the tort at the pet store is sick, poor thing. A sad but common problem with *some* pet stores.

: On to fecal tests, you'll need to take in a fresh stool sample (from the tortoise!) which the vet will examine under a microscope to see if your tortoise has worms.
: The vet will probably prescribe Panacur, if it does.
: Usually one dose orally, followed by a second dose after two weeks.

: Ask the vet to give the medication, as it can be tricky for somebody who's not used to giving torts oral medication.
: Or the medication can be put on a favorite piece of food, something you know the tortoise will eat.

: A second dose will usually be given after two weeks.

: Don't give the tort any over the counter dewormer, as dewormers that are safe for cats/dogs
: and even other reptiles, can be harmful to tortoises.
: Try this web site for reptile vet listings in your area. Call the ones closest to you first to determine which is the most experienced treating tortoises:

: http://www.sonic.net/melissk/society.html

: You can soak your tortoise once a week, but I wouldn't soak it for 30 minutes. 10-20 minutes is enough.

: Soak it in *shallow* lukewarm water, the water should only come to the point where the top shell (carapace) meets the bottom shell (plastron).
: The bottom of it's neck.

: It is a good idea to soak any new tortoise when you first get it though. Who knows when the last time it was offered water was, it could be a bit dehydrated.

: I don't soak my Russians once a week, or ever. But I did soak them a couple of times, when I first got them.

: Russians are not big water drinkers, in the wild they'll drink from puddles etc when it rains.

: Mine are housed outdoors, but I've never seen them drink, ever.
: They do have a small/shallow dish of clean water ( a little plant pot saucer) in their enclosure though. But I've never seen them drink.

: So it's up to you, you can soak him once a week for around 10 minutes,It won't do any harm.
: Some people do soak them, others don't, but provide clean drinking water.

: Otherwise, if he's eating well, just provide a little dish of water for him.
: Something easy to drink from that he won't spill all the time.

: Lisa, what are you feeding him, and is he a good eater?

: Hope this helps.
: And feel free to ask away if you have more questions. This forum and Marissa were a great help to me, when I got my first tortoise.

: Terry.

:
: The tortoise

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: