kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: CA Desert Tortoise Eggs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Dave E on July 19, 2001 at 22:00:29:

In Reply to: CA Desert Tortoise Eggs posted by Nick on July 19, 2001 at 11:19:36:

: Hello everyone, This is the first year I have had any luck with my pair of desert tortoises breeding (I believe it is because we live very close to the coast) My female layed her eggs on the 27th of June, I put them up to a flashlight this morning and 4 out of 7 eggs have veins in them! I am really excited. My question is do you recommend putting a cup of water in the incubator with them? I have heard both yes and no. ...the desert has no humidity right? I wouldn't want to make a mistake, I feel so lucky right now.
: any advice would be appreciated.
: thanks -Nick

Nick,
Although I have no experience with CA Desert Tortoise eggs, I have hatched kingsnake and western fence lizard eggs.
All reptile eggs take a little bit of moisture in order to survive.
I think that it is important to monitor the humidity level of the incubator with some sort of humidity indicator such as the ones they sell at walmart for 15 bucks.
Of course you should put a container of water in the incubator but the question is how much humidity will that container of water provide?
Start with a container of water that will give you 75% humidity in the incubator.
Observe the eggs-they should have no "dents".
Dents mean that there is not enough water in the eggs.
If some are dented and others are not then most likely the dented ones are infertile and should be removed, if you are sure that they are infertile.
With moisture and heat comes mold, and mold will quickly kill the eggs.
So the trick is to keep the eggs hydrated but not enough moisture to support mold.
I believe the proper humidity level to be about 75%, but it could be a little lower or higher, you'll have to experiment(with the denting observation).
When humidity approaches 80% and beyond, mold can easily be supported.
Thats why I say start at 75%, you may have to go to up or down a little.
Remember that the length and width(surface area)of the water container is more important than the depth--more surface area means more water contact with air and hence more humidity in the air.
It is unfortunate that you have to "experiment" with such an endangered species as the desert tortoises, but if you're careful, and stay below 80% humidity then you should be okay.
Perhaps there is someone out there who can tell us the slam bang proper humidity level for incubating these particular eggs?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]