kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Which Tort for me?..and an intro

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Jerry D. Fife on July 18, 2001 at 22:32:47:

In Reply to: Which Tort for me?..and an intro posted by iareptiles on July 18, 2001 at 09:43:44:

Mike:

If money is the main factor get a Leopard. Hatchlings will run $75 to $150. They are an attractive tortoise but grow larger than the other two species you were interest in considering.

If you want an adult tortoise and something that will be more meaningful if you breed them, get the Spider. They are currently available from $200 to $500. They are much smaller than leopards and would be easier to keep inside during the winter. The Pyxis arachnoides seem to be the friendliest of the spiders, while P. planicauda are likely the rarest. I think this is actually the best bargain as prices are likely to increase if imports are stopped.

If you want a great looking tortoise, go with the Star. They are friendly, attractive and captive born animals are quite hardy. Hatchlings cost about $400 to $600.

The pyxis you purchase would be an imported wild caught animal, while the leopard and stars would likely be captive born. Leopards are the most available.

Good luck with your tortoise.

Jerry

: I started with my first turtle when I was about 9. At 12 I had about 13 red ears that all my neighbors, and friends gave me when their kids stopped taking care of them. Then I moved...and I got started with Painted turtles...at one time I had as many as 32 (they were WC sorry to say, but I kept them for the summer in an outdoor pen, and let them go in the fall when school started.)

: I then went on to Box turtles when I was married (occasionally taking in a neglected red ear/cooter/painted turtle when somebody needed a home) Well My ex has my old Boxies...

: Now I live on a small ranch/acreage in Iowa, and I want something more. I really love the looks of the leopard Tortise, as well as like the star and spider torts....how are they for pets?

: I want something that will be with me forever. I consider myself to b a very good herper, and mostly I have Lizards right now (just a couple of Bearded Dragons). I would like something that I might get to breed, as I would also like to contribute to the number of CB pets out there, so not so many people are dependant on WC.

: I apreciate any input and comments!!!

: ~Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]