return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe on December 22, 1998 at 16:49:17:

In Reply to: Russian questions posted by ken on December 22, 1998 at 09:43:22:

: Yes, I know you shouldn't buy pets for Christmas, but tell that to 3 boys who have been asking for one since July. I now have two small Russinans in hiding. After a couple of days adjustment, they seem to be ok. I've done some web research, but have the following questions:1)I've got them in a 40 gallon aquarium with a layer of vegetable pellets recommended by the pet store--how deep should the layer be(i.e. does it need to be deep enough to burrow in?); also, should I obstruct the view out by wrapping paper around it? (I've read they get frutrated looking out). Should they have a hiding place? 2)I live in the midwest. Once they've been cleared by the vet, should I let them hibernate?--if so, how? 3)I've read that people let them roam the house--how does one do this without tortoise-poop problems? 4) related to #3, how long can they be away from a basking light--my house runs about 68 degrees in the winter, can thay be out for an hour or so? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Ive had russians fo the last 5 years. The last 3 years they have spent most of the year in pens. When I have them indoors, I use rabbit pellets as substrate. I've tried others but none seem as good. Cyprus mulch drove them nuts!! I think it was the smell.A 40 gal aquarium is a little small, but if they can run around outside they should be OK. Blocking the view on three sides is good. I also put a pile of Timothy hay or alfalfa to hide in. Both work wellbut the alfalfa gets trampled down rather fast. Both can be bought at the pet shop in "bales" where you find the rabbit food. They are very tolerant to lower temperatures but seem to prefer 70-85. Also its good to soak them once a week. Mine have never drank out of a water bowl...they get most of their water from their food. Hope this helps!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]