kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: what kind of tortoise do we want?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Stephanie on July 16, 2001 at 08:27:33:

In Reply to: Re: what kind of tortoise do we want? posted by Stephanie on July 16, 2001 at 08:24:15:

: : My wife wants a tortoise. Does the right tortoise exist for our particular conditions? Here's the situation: we live in a small house in coastal northern california. Ambient air temps usually range from winter lows around 48 to summer/autumn highs in the mid 80's. Indoor lows are moderated to mid 60's. We're willing to let the animal wander around inside or in the garden as needs dictate. The largest enclosure we could dedicate indoors would be only about 24" x 30". We could set up a heating arrangement to suit, but would rather not spend a fortune on electricty. What else do we have to consider, and what species should we investigate?

: : Thanks!

: I have a bell's hingeback, and i love he/r. S/he is a very sweet, quiet tortoise, that only gets to about 8". for winter and colder days, you would need a tank about 55 gallons, pretty big, and it should be about 4 times as long in length, and twice as long in width. for lighting, I have a fixture that has a heating lamp, day lamp, and ultraviolet lamp all in one. Temp in the day should be around 80 or 90F, and 10 lower at night. for outside, the space that you mentioned is more than adequate, just make sure to fence it in, maybe a little below groundlevel because these torts are infamous for their climbing and digging skills. in its outside enclosure, put out a pan buried to the rim in the ground, making sure it's not too deep to get out of or drown in, about 3" or 4". Another good tortoise would be a russian tortoise, relatively small, and much faster because of their size. if you need more information feel free to email me!
: PS> If you let it wander around inside, it would probably poop on everything in sight... dont' try it.

PSS> the pan is to fill with water, like a soaking tub... also try growing romaine lettuce elsewhere, then replant it in the enclosure... the tort can eat it right off the plant.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]