kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ethics, responsibility and endangered species

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Patty on July 13, 2001 at 10:07:18:

In Reply to: Ethics, responsibility and endangered species posted by doug on July 13, 2001 at 09:44:39:

Hi Doug,

I've been keeping up with your story and I'm very glad that you found your pet! I think your idea to loan him for breeding purposes is not only unslefish but also logical and wonderful of you. The contribution your pet might make to his species cannot be measured. I think you should do it.

Patty

: Hi,
: I broached this subject in a post below, but it's starting to slide off the page. You may have followed the saga of my missing Egyptian tort, and his subsequent recovery. (If not, it starts on 7/5 and updates on 7/9.)
: The incident raises issues for me. I considered the same ones some time ago and now they're back. About a year and a half ago it occured to me that my kleinmanni is one of the most endangerd tortoise species (most endangered of ANY species, really.) Even if he lives a long and happy life with me, he is a genetic dead-end. So I contacted the Bronx Zoo. They have a captive breeding program. Like I said below, if you have a giraffe, keep him, they don't want another. But when they heard about my Egyptian they were very excited to get him. In the end, I liked him too much to donate. They said if I got tired of taking care of him in the future, to bring him in. Obviously, I do not get tired of caring for my pets, so that's not part of the equation. This recent ordeal, however, makes me think. The whole time (8 days) he was missing, I kept thinking how I had just let what is perhaps the ninth most endangered animal ON THE PLANET escape from my care to roam a suburban New York neighborhood. It seemed only a matter of time until he was eaten by somebody's dog or a racoon. Surviving that, he would in all probability, freeze to death come winter. Well, fortunately I got him back in one piece. The dilemma still remains. He's okay and that's great. But he is still out of the genetic pool as far as contributing new DNA to what seems to be a very shallow population. This contribution could be vital to a species that is failing. We have a vet appointment on Tuesday just to make sure there are no ill effects from his little sojourn. My vet also happens to do work with the herps at the zoo. I think I'm going to ask her if she's familiar with their kleinmanni program and if I could maybe "loan" him to the zoo. I know, with quarantine times and whatnot, that he'd probably be there a year or so. But I would get him back and his participation could be invaluable. What is the feeling among keepers here? I know there's a kleinmanni breeder here, right? What is my (or all keepers of endangereds) ethical responsibility here? Can I keep my tort out of the reproductive game and still claim to be concerned about the fate of the species? He has, in his DNA, a bit more genetic diversity to offer. If we don't do so, then as far as species survival is concerned, isn't he already dead?
: As I also said below, my new computer isn't due until 7/18, so my presence here may be sporadic. Please don't take a delayed response as a lack of interest. This really troubles me and I'd like to hear what people think. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]