kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian tortiose

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Jared Shortman on July 07, 2001 at 16:07:12:

In Reply to: Russian tortiose posted by Jared Shortman on July 06, 2001 at 09:45:15:

Thank you, that clears up a lot for me. I will back off on the fruit though I already suspected fruit wasn't so great. How often do turtles really get into trees?

Anyway I will get a picture as soon as I can. The photos in the web pages look exactly like him.

Now, being that this is a hot climate I probably cannot keep him outside eh? He does like to go out onto the patio where it is warm. I let him out of the tank a lot, he's not the averate tortiose. He really moves fast and is constantly restless. A smart little bugger too. Today he ate red radiccio and endive with a little tad of carrot shreds. The grass he has a hard time getting in 'cause the greens are so much easier for him to grab.

I am keeping him in coconut fiber substrate in a 50 gallon tank, when hes not cruising around the house. The tank came with him. He was abused a little, neglected. There are some dinks on his shell but nothing too bad. No rot that I can notice. He seems very healthy despite his previous circumstances.

I am letting him out every day. He is eating a lot too. I have been feeding him as above everyday. He is supposedly about 3 yrs. old. When is he breedable? I know they are slow developers. I will continue with the grass because almost all the sources say that russians should be fed that. However he will always get a little turtle salad cause I think he really likes color in his food (who doesn't?).

I am almost sure he is a male from the pictures. He exactly matches the male photo on one of the suggested URLs I followed. His little tail tucks to the side and is large.

I would like to talk to other russian tort. owners too and get more info.

Jared

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]