return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Marissa - Hairball problem in Leopard Tortoise?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on December 18, 1998 at 20:06:23:

In Reply to: Marissa - Hairball problem in Leopard Tortoise? posted by Alyce on December 17, 1998 at 23:38:50:

: Marissa, Can you tell me the signs and or symptoms of a hairball problem in a Leopard tortoise?
: Also any remedy you may know of and how to apply it.
: I have two large female Leopards "Bertha" & "Betty" and they keep coughing.
: A dry sort of hack of a cough.
: They have been in capitvity for over 9 years, I have had them for nearly a year.
: I wormed them when I first got them (mostly on general principals)
: and again after they started coughing.
: I use Fenbendazole.
: I have a large dog that has access to the tortoise pen (she keeps the cats out).
: My dog has long hair (a black lab and rotwieller cross).
: Do you think that Bertha & Betty could have injested fallen hair in the pen?
: There are 20 other tortoises in the same pen (2 more large Leopards) and only the two large females
: are coughing. Bertha and Betty are laying at the present time also, if that has any bearing on this.
: Bertha has laid three clutches and Betty is pacing on her third.
: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
: I would really hate to lose Bertha and Betty, also Bert and Barney would be VERY lonely!

: Thanks again,

: Alyce

Alyce....my heart leaped right out of my chest when I read your post re: your rot/lab having access to your torts. PLEASE if you value and love your torts DON'T take the chance of intentionally exposing your torts to your dog. A rot/lab is a large dog like ours. No matter how loving you think your dog is, they for some unknown reason, someday can do horrible harm to your torts. Even when it is a freak accident, it is hard to forgive yourself and extremely difficult to look at your dog with love. Time heals but one never trusts again. Protect your mamas, their babies and their relatives/buddies, and you and your dog from the worst thing that my family and I have experienced. Georgia

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]