return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Possible Release into the wild, T. graeca

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ULf Edqvist on December 18, 1998 at 01:22:45:

In Reply to: Possible Release into the wild, T. graeca posted by Evan Kane on December 16, 1998 at 09:38:11:

: HerpForum:

: The question of releasing a tortiose back into the wild has been on my mind
: for some time now. I own a Greek Island Tortoise (Med. Spur?) and have had him for
: 9 years now. It has come to my attention that this species is protected now, and I feel guilty for
: keeping it in a cage, isolated from its native habitat (Libya, Greece?).
: I am asking the forum if there is any program for re-releasing such species back into
: their supposed native ranges, and simultaneously offering one healthy
: T. graeca to such a program.

Evan,

While it is nice that you are concerned, it is not safe to release ex-pet animals. You point it out clearly yourself that it is hard (impossible) to pinpoint its original location - because in order to make a genetically safe reintrduction you would have to release the tortoise in THE VERY SAME population that it originated from.

Even if you could do this, there is the question whether it would be safe from a different view. Your tortoise can have been in contact with animals from different populations, and can have contracted pathogens that could exterminate any wild specimens - look what has happened to the Calif. desert torts after releases of ex-captives.

There is simply no way of safely releasing ex-pet torts into existing populations. The only use of ex-captives would be reintroduction in the cases where the wild populations are 100% gone, as in the case of Egyptian T.kleinmanni, and even then it is a controversial practice.

The damage was done when he was taken from the wild, it cannot be undone, so all you can do is to make sure he remains healthy, and breed him to make more captive bred pets available - thereby diminishing the need for more wild caught imports.

ULf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]