kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian tort sexing? Confused.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by troy on June 25, 2001 at 14:12:58:

In Reply to: Russian tort sexing? Confused. posted by LauraO on June 25, 2001 at 13:30:48:

: Hey. Long ago I had someone here tell me how to tell males from females (Russian torts only) by looking at the width and length of the last two plastron scales around the tail.

I thnk tail size will usually do it. Also notice when you put them down where do the torts carry their tails? A female will walk with hers in the middle, while a male will walk with his tucked in to the side. I think that is the easiest way to tell. Let me know what people think.

- Troy

: Well, based on that plus tail length, I thought I had a pair. The "female" occasionally took to mounting the definite male and I asked here if this is something females normally do. At least one person told me yes.

: Well, now I bought a new female, which I decided the sex of based on tail length + those scales. But I turned these two "girls" around, and the first alleged female's tail does look slightly longer and thicker at the base than the newest female. Also, female #1 does not have quite as round (or boxy) and mature looking of a shell as female #2. And now, I've noticed female #1 taking to occasionally gaping or nipping at the definite male.

: So, my question is, based on the above, is it still possible that I have a girl, or do I most likely have an immature male?

: Once again, it looks as if few things are certain when sexing these guys. You guys with lots of experience with breeding and sexing Russians would be best to answer this.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]