return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Dietary Fiber, Again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rachel on December 12, 1998 at 00:47:45:

In Reply to: Re: Dietary Fiber, Again posted by Terry on December 10, 1998 at 22:07:52:

:
: : What should be the correct amount/percentage of fiber in a tortoise diet?

: Fibre is the most important ingredient in a sulcatas diet. My sulcata grazes outside everyday on grasses and clovers. I supplement her diet with leafy greens 3 times a week , also hibiscus flowers, opuntia cactus pads.She also gets grated yam added once a week.If your tortoise is inside for the winter, by clipping grasses everyday from your yard you will be improving her diet. The fibre from the grass will help keep the stools firm, and the gut healthy.You can make the grass half of the total amount of her daily diet.Cut it up with a pair of scissors and mix it in with the greens. Remember no pestisides or fertilizer.Once your tortoise goes out and grazes you will notice the stools get firm and drier.This is good.!

::: Hi Terry, I mix grass in with my 1yo leopard Cozmo's diet but she seems to pick it out and NOT eat it. She loves clover though, actually comes running. Also won't touch dandelion. Seems to be doing great other than refusing to eat a few things. How can I get her to eat grass? Could it be because I picked it or something? Rachel PS Terry how is lucky doing?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]