kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: parasites in tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on June 13, 2001 at 16:26:57:

In Reply to: Re: parasites in tortoises posted by Sharon E. Chancellor on June 13, 2001 at 14:13:43:

See, I'm really bad in that I like things neat and in their place. A clutch of eggs covered with mud really disturbs me. I number the eggs and place them neatly in a plastic shoe box. I found that when I washed them off I ran into the problem you mention. The best I do is lightly wipe them off or let them try off and then use a paint brush to get the dirt off. Then I number them. I've learned to live with the dirt on them.
The parasites I never gave much thought to considering they are in the yard where they eat everything their hearts desire including... you really don't want to know.
Ed

: Hey Ed,
: That's good to know. Interesting thought too. I usually rinse off the dirt because I have had box turtle eggs get a little mold on them where the dirt was clinging and because of the thought of reducing pin worm ova. Of course I just did a quick rinse and didn't scour them. I am still really new to the egg thing! Thanks for the heads up! I wonder if the slimey coating might actually help reduce fungal growth in the overall scheme of things. Hmm......

: --Sharon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]