kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: parasites in tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sharon E. Chancellor on June 12, 2001 at 20:49:49:

In Reply to: parasites in tortoises posted by DaviDC. on June 12, 2001 at 20:28:52:

: I'm aware that wild caught tortoises usually come chocked full of intestinal parasites. Is it safe to assume that captive borns are parasite free? Can they get them from grazing in a backyard? I have a Hermanns that nibbles on all sorts of things whenever I let her graze outside her pen. Today she was eating dirt & gnawing on a piece of churt & this got me to wondering about parasites.

Hi David
Since it is very very difficult(if not impossible) to rid WC tortoises of parasites, and since eggs and excrement both come out of the cloaca, it is very possible to have parasite eggs and cysts hang out on the outer surface of the tortoise egg. When a hatchling emerges, there very well could be surface contamination of the hatchling and then it could contaminate food offered to it, and or the little bugger could eat the egg shell and thus become infected. I wash the outer surface of the tortoise eggs before placing them in the incubator, but it is not a given that they remain parasite free.
As far as picking up parasites from the yard. I think this depends on if the area they're grazing in has been used by other tortoises before it that have parasites, or if you have tracked parasites from other infected areas of your yard by walking in and out of pens wearing the same pair of shoes.

Hope this helps!
--Sharon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]