kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Three toed Box Turtle or Russian Tortoise?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric T. on June 09, 2001 at 14:35:01:

In Reply to: Three toed Box Turtle or Russian Tortoise? posted by Brian I on June 09, 2001 at 12:12:26:

:First of all I think if you are going to get a pet it should be the one you want (assuming you can take care of it). Having any pet is a great responsibility. That said, I would personally recomend a Russian tortoise, but I'm biased. I believe that both russian tortoises and box turtles are long lived. They are equally as hardy. And neither one is tame (I think russians are more tolerant of people). Russians are easier to feed, although you need to give them a great variety of vegitables- they can't live on lettuce alone! Box turtles are a bit more picky, plus they need to have some animal protein in their diet so you need to find insects they like.
The habitat for Box turtles requires moisture and access to water for them to wade in. Russian tortoises on the other hand need a more arid habitat and they don't need as much water- just enough to drink.
Which ever one you choose remember that it was probably wild caught and should go to a Vet immediately for a complete exam to insure that it's in good health.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]