kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My First Tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jen B on June 07, 2001 at 19:52:21:

In Reply to: My First Tortoise posted by Nick on June 05, 2001 at 16:51:44:

Hi Nick--

Good tortoises to consider are Hermann's, Greeks, or Russians. They stay fairly small. Redfoots are another option, although they get a little bigger. Each has its own environmental needs, so you should investigate this and decide which sort of environment you will be able to provide for it.

I agree with Beth about the heat rock. Stick with overhead basking heat. Also, there is some concern with the suitability of glass aquariums, as they don't allow good air circulation and can pose problems achieving a good heat gradient.

Here is the address of a good breeder of a variety of tort species:

http://www.centralfloridareptilefarm.com/

And here are some sites with links and examples of indoor and outdoor habitats:

http://www.turtlecafe.net/habitats.htm
http://turtlestuff.com/enclosures.html

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

: Hey everyone.

: I've been raising aquatic turtles for a year or two now and I want to get a tortoise. Unfortunately the pet stores around here are "iffy", so of course I came here for some info :)

: I could first off use advice on what the best beginner tort is (preferably around/under 50lbs). Also, it's going to be a few months before I'm ready to begin looking to buy one, but are there any good site or breeders on here to buy one from?

: The plan is to buy a baby/juv tort and house it in a 30g breeder aquarium. Basking light, uva/uvb lamp, heat rock... and anything else you guys/gals can tell me about :)

: Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]