kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tort for a beginner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LauraO on June 07, 2001 at 12:04:30:

In Reply to: Re: Tort for a beginner posted by Eric T. on June 07, 2001 at 10:08:24:

: : I agree with Justin. Of course I'm biased and think that Russian tortoises are innately the best.
:
I have a trio of Russians which have done well for me so far. I've had two of them for one year and a third for one month. All appear healthy and are very responsive.

But they did all have pinworms. I've seen a lot of Russians imported in, and they always are loaded with pinworms. Once,I saw a box just being opened up at a reptile retail place, and one took a poop, and you could actually see it writhing with adult worms!

Practically all imported animals (which nearly all tortoises are) have some sort of parasite load that needs to be taken care of. Otherwise, the health of the tortoise will slowly go downhill. Don't be fooled by a tortoise that eats and acts healthy. All of mine were just that way, despite having worms. Find an experienced vet and get a few fecal samples taken when you get a tort. Or try and find a captive bred one. They are less likely to be infested.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]