kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Am I over or under feeding my Sulcatas????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on June 05, 2001 at 13:04:02:

In Reply to: Am I over or under feeding my Sulcatas???? posted by EnJay on June 04, 2001 at 21:03:37:

I agree with Marissa.
Over feeding AND feeding the wrong foods.

If they are housed outdoors, why don't they have have access to graze, a grassy area to spend the day grazing in?

My sulcatas are housed outdoors too, not in an enclosure, they have the run of the yard ( except for the baby).
They have a variety of grasses, clovers etc to graze on.The back yard is for the torts, grasses, clovers, weeds etc cover the entire area.

These tortoises will graze quite happily on lawn grass and edible weeds.
So I really recommend you rethink the enclosure and build it in an area where there is plenty of graze.
Or seed it with a variety of weeds/plants/grasses etc.
Check out Turtle Cafe, you can order seed mixes and check out edible plant lists:

http://www.turtlecafe.net/index.htm

IF there is plenty of graze, you don't need to suplement the diet too much.
My sulcatas get hibiscus flowers daily. In Arizona it should be easy to grow hibiscus.
I would plant at least 8 bushes, the flowers are a great food and supplement a grazing diet nicely.
You can grow most of your own food.
I also have a mulberry tree and feed the leaves. And spineless opuntia cactus.

I agree with Marissas post.
Discontinue the fruit and the pellets/biscuits.
Limit the alfalfa too or discontinue and instead as they're outdoors, get them on a grazing diet.
You can supplement the diet with foods grown right in your yard.

For example. My sulcatas spend a good part of the day grazing,(on lawn grass and weeds etc) even the 90 gram baby in his enclosure.
They get around 10 hibiscus flowers each daily, the baby gets one.
Every couple of days they get mulberry leaves or a small amount of leafy greens.Once a week they also get opuntia cactus.
Not only is this diet much cheaper, it's healthier for your torts.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]