kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Best tortoise for dallas area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charla on June 04, 2001 at 21:35:03:

Hi yall....haven't been here in a while. I had traded my russian tort for a female 3-toed because I had a male 3-toed already and realized my yard was setup more for a 3-toed, plus everyone said not to mix species. Anyway, I have finally figured out a way to make a pen which I am going to work on in the coming weeks. I have a long strip of grassy area that holds alot of water when it rains hard.......we are going to first install a french drain throughout this entire area to keep it from flooding out. Then I am going to put some vinyl siding around to make the edges of the pen with some stones up against it in the dirt to keep them from digging. I am going to do this mainly to house the new female I got because my male will not leave her alone. She has gotten sick and I had to take her to the vet Saturday! I plan on putting in plants, rocks, etc....but I wanted to know if there were any tortoises that live/thrive in this type of area (Dallas, Tx)? There would be a sprinkler that will hit one end of the pen, but I was thinking of making 2 pens and putting boxies in one, and a tortoise in the other? Any suggestions? I know the russian wouldn't work because of the wet, but I haven't read up on every tortoise there is and figured one of you smart guys/gals could point me in the right direction? If none of them could handle this climate, I'll just stick with boxies, but it's a thought!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]