return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata: NO POOPS!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 10, 1998 at 12:33:44:

In Reply to: Sulcata: NO POOPS!!! posted by FREIGHT on December 10, 1998 at 12:13:55:

: 4 days ago we bought a 1yo sulcata, whom has resided in no larger than a 30gal tank her entire life,she's 7 and a half inches long! On the way home she was very upset which caused her first to pee a large amount, then poop an equally LARGE AMOUNT! She has been eating a little more every day, I've soaked her a few times and gently brushed her to help remove fecal buildup from being in the small tank,she doesnt like the bath so I have a hard time keeping her in very long.Getting to the point-she has not pooped in three days and I need to know if I have reason for concern!!! Her diet has so far consisted of:romaine,apple,and zucchini,be rest assured I've researched her diet and will expand it as time goes on.Any words of wisdom will be most appreciated!!! Thank You.
Hi, she may have pooped out everything on the trip home and emptied herself out. I would only soak her once a week now.You can also offer her drinking water. I would change the diet. The apple and zucchini should not make up the base of her diet. Fruit is too high in sugar and can cause gut problems and colic. I would add more leafy greens, Endive, chicory, watercress,dandelion,
fresh grass clippings. Fibre is the most important ingredient in a sulcatas diet,Adding fresh grass clippings is a great way to add the much needed fibre. In the summer she will graze for hours if allowed. I feed no fruit to my sulcata. Hibiscus flowers, opuntia cactus pads, grape leaves, fig and mulberry leaves are all recomended.Collard greens can be fed in moderation. The stools should be firm and fibrous , looking like short fat cigars.
I'm sure she/he will poop soon , maybe soak every day, for 4 days to rehydrate but then only once a week.If water is available in a shallow dish s/he will drink when thirsty.Let us know how it goes.But cut way back on the fruit, it will upset her system.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]