kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New Sulcatta Owner Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Theresa on May 29, 2001 at 21:36:54:

In Reply to: New Sulcatta Owner Question posted by James on May 29, 2001 at 13:35:57:

: I have a number of turtles and tortoises but I recently made a first time purchase of a 9 month old sulcatta. Because he is a juvinal I soak him every other day and I feed him every other day as well. I use UVB bulbs and use Rep-cal and Herpivite. However I am confused. I have been reading the literature and recently came across an articel that said that your should give calcium and vitamin D3 supplements like Rep-cal around three times a week. However, the same article said that he sould have calcium DAILY. Does this mean that I should feed him more often and give him Rep-cal each time? I also read that you could give him cuttle bone. Is this what I should give him daily. If so should I break it up or leave it in large chunks? Will he want to chew on the cuttle bone or will it need to be with food? Thanks

Hi James,
I think the calcium pretty much depends on how close to natural conditions your keeping them in. You have to take into consideration that the output of the typical UVB/UVA bulb is miniscule compared to real sunlight and thus the need to supplement with D3 if your baby isn't getting real sun.
In the wild they don't need that daily sprinkle because the grasses and weeds generally have a correct calcium to phosphorus ratio.
Keeping in mind that calcium is so hard to metabolize and that most grocery store veggies don't have the correct ratio, I wouldnt hesitate to supplement 4-5 times a week. The Tortoise Trust recommends daily supplementation b/c these are such rapidly growing animals. There is allot of evidence that they excrete excessive or unutilized calcium, so the danger of oversupplementing with calcium carbonate isn't an issue. If your baby really takes to the cuttle bone and he is outdoors much of the time, it would be safe to cut back even more.
Re soaking:
I see that there are sooo many differences here on keeping these guys so I wanted to share my take, ok?
Since we deprive these naturally burrowing animals of their micro climates and use artificial heat in generally to small of an environment, I do advocate leaving water available at all times. If they want it, its there. Babies, having a smaller body mass are far more vulnerable to dehydration. I don't actually soak mine but I will keep a shallow saucer of fresh water available and plop them in it every other day or so if I haven't noticed them drinking.
Hope this helps some.
Im sending you lots of information off list as well. If you have any questions regarding lighting or the D3 supplementation, let me/ us know and I can send lots of neat links and info ok?
Take care,
tcc :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]