kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I didn't say they weren't good for them. I just said slow down feeding em'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 29, 2001 at 19:59:09:

In Reply to: I didn't say they weren't good for them. I just said slow down feeding em' posted by John C. on May 29, 2001 at 19:25:39:

No need to slow down.
A few leaves from some leafy greens a couple to three times a week, (to supplement a grazing diet), doesn't do any harm to a 70lb grazing sulcata!
Now if it was a whole head of lettuce or endive or more a day each,I could understand.
But it's just a few leaves or some mulberry leaves.
From the 10 hibiscus bushes they normally get around 20-40 flowers between 3 of them daily.
20-40 divided by three, plus the Russians get a few of them also.The baby gets one!

The baby gets greens offered most days,or mulberry but last thing, after the grazing and his one hibiscus flower.
Most of the time he ignores the greens as one hibiscus fills him up.

No need to overfeed tortoises that have plenty of graze/browse available, I agree.
But to supplement the diet with a few leaves a couple to three times a week isn't a problem.

For indoor torts it's a bit different.
For babies housed indoors I would recommend feeding daily, a small meal daily.

I know some people feed every other day, if that works for them and their torts that's fine.

There's no way it would work for me though.
All my torts are too active and hungry.

By 9am the baby is pacing his overnight rubbermaid and wants out.
So out he goes.
At 1pm he dives into his one hibiscus flower, as if he hasn't seen food for a week!

He gets offered a small amount of greens later, to add a bit of variety to his diet.

It's only recently that he started eating hibiscus.
He used to be on a baby schedule and fed before he was put out.This is because he was so sick when I got him and I had to make sure he was eating.He used to eat everything but the hibiscus.

Thanks for your concern that I'm overfeeding my sulcatas.I didn't mention the amount of greens I fed the adults or how often in my original post.
Next time I will to avoid confusion :)

Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]