kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

As far as carpet goes, my four year olds prefer it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on May 25, 2001 at 20:47:47:

In Reply to: Re: it is quite obvious to me carpet and mulch is workin for EJ...... posted by daniel on May 25, 2001 at 18:12:27:

I've never had a problem with carpeting because I use oriental rugs that are thin-pile (that's fabric terminology for thin carpet - in otherwords, the opposite of shag). As long as the edges are thouroughly bound (clean-finished, no protruding fringe or rough edges that could be chewed on), they walk on their carpeting quickly and confidently.

I tried every substrate and it just continually ended up in their stomaches, and they would ignore their real meals because they had eaten so much of other substrates (lizard litter, pellets of different sizes, even that cursed calci-sand. . .) Carpet is the only thing that they seem to ignore as a foodstuff and still provides excellent footing.

An early mistake I made in Chanel's baby sulcata-hood was that lizard litter substrate. He was constantly slipping on it, it would give beneath him and he developed a minute case of muscular atrophy in his back legs and limped for about 2 months. The vet said to take him off of all loose substrates immediately as this was the cause.

Never had a problem after that since I went with the carpeting. Of course, do NOT get green carpeting with the texture of grassb because they will take an active food-related interest. Mine can't be put on astroturf for this reason. As it is, Angel sniffs at any red detailing she happens to see on the orientals, just in case it is a wayward berry. But since they are short-pile and not shag, there is no snacking opportunity. Just be careful how you clean the carpet (as in do NOT use chemicals, only vaccuum) since they inhale any of those products.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]