kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

hilarious! I got bit last year. . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on May 23, 2001 at 23:02:21:

In Reply to: tortoise landscaping...& 2 embarassing moments! lol!.... posted by Niki on May 23, 2001 at 22:07:44:

LOL Niki! Loved the poody story.

The bite story is even better. They will put ANYTHING in those little mouths!

Its funny, they never mean to bite you and they don't even know when they do it! Once I was hand feeding Chanel, and he got a little zealous with one bite at the moment I was not zealous about watching my thumb position. He chomped down and he chomped down HARD!!! I mean, he thought I was a piece of lettuce (my thumb was under the leaf so he couldn't see it)! I didn't want to yank my thumb and risk damaging his beak or neck or jaw (or rip my thumb), so I just waited for him to unclamp so that he could (in his mind) take a bigger bite of the yummy squishy thing. When I pulled out my thumb, there were obvious beak marks on it, and the skin was broken on the underside. On the thumbnail side, a blood blister formed under the skin by the nail, and it stayed with me as souvenir for about 2 weeks before it surfaced and fell off. Chanel and Angel are much bigger now, so I am far more watchful when hand-feeding them. If it hurt that much then when they were only 8 pounds, imagine now that they are 15!!! I can't imagine the damage for some of the other torts on this forum that are even bigger! Watch out, because they don't mean to!

: Hi all, I talked to the landscaper that will do our yard, and
: YES it was kinda embarassing to say I wanted to be out there
: because I had a bunch of grassland grazing mix I wanted to
: cast in the backyard, but they were really nice, like "Oh yeah,
: then come out at noon Tues when we work on it, and mark out the
: pen etc...",
: He told me they don't put any pesticides or weed-killers down,
: and that they use a "commercial mix" of grasses, probably a few
: of the main seeded grasses. So I'm gonna put the grassland mix
: I got from turtlecafe and the clover mixes in there. We'll have
: the water turned on out there then so I can keep it watered.
: I've got lots of big hibiscus (and geraniums) ready to plant
: there too. Can't wait. niki & teddy

: oh two embarassing moments to share: LOL!

: A. Came home from shopping and found Teddy relaxing in his
: pen here, and saw that he had a bird turd smack down on his
: shell! LOLOL! He does like to look for bird poody so it
: came to him this time!

: B. Was walking with him in the front and he picked up a
: piece of paper towel from the garbage pick-up that day
: so I tried to get it out of his mouth just as he was
: trying to continue eating it and GOT BIT! Woh! surprise,
: kinda hurt too! LOL! He didn't seem to notice that he
: got me either! My fault, take care, niki

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup