kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What is going on with my "ramming" Sulcatas??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on May 19, 2001 at 14:54:23:

In Reply to: What is going on with my posted by EnJay on May 17, 2001 at 21:13:54:

: Hope someone has some ideas-I have a large outdoor pen with various hide areas etc. I have 2 Sulcatas (that have been together fine), aprox 10 inches and 7 inches. Well, after a brief quarentine period (I know, I know...) I added a larger 12-13 inch Sulcata. The first day the newbie ate out of my hand and was fine, but since then (its been about 5 days) She (?) hides and when I do bring her out to try to get her to eat, the smallest Spur rams into here, mostly in the back end area-IS THIS BREEDING BEHAVIOR?? Or is the little guy just mad? Oh, then the middle one starts too and the poor newbie gets herded back to the house where she stays...Any thoughts???? Thanks in advance!

Ramming....we have that problem with our 40+lb male sulcata. It started when we introduced him to our female. They are now kept separate because for several reasons, his always horny, him rams her and tries to mate constantly. She being smaller can without much effort go under and flip him on his back side. He also rams anyone that comes into his area. He does this usually only once to the person and then leaves them alone. We've come to the conclusion he just wants it known its his area and he can defend himself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]