kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Don't do that...yet!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Annie-TortoiseAid on May 18, 2001 at 15:28:23:

In Reply to: we might have to put her to sleep :( posted by Michelle on May 18, 2001 at 09:48:07:

Hi,
Has the vet given calcium injections? If not, he/she should have. Is this a GOOD torotise vet, or one who only occasionally sees reptiles?

I have never seen an egg that takes up 50% of the internal cavity. Is he/she SURE it is an egg and not a bladder stone? I would love to see that x-ray.
Inducing laying AND getting that egg out (if that is what it is) CAN be done...I've done it many times myself.

If you need help...please contact me. I work with this species every day of my life.

Attached is a pic of a female who had the same problem, we did get her through it without surgical intervention. Her eggs were HUGE, nearly the size of tennis balls. She was unable to use her rear legs at all, pressure from the eggs on her spine caused paralysis.
She was found dragging herself by her front legs crossing a road.

I had to break several eggs VERY carefully, and guide them out myself. This pic is of the first egg she tried to pass...which she broke right after this photo was taken. She was FULL......13 eggs.
Annie

: The Desert Tortoise has another egg to pass, but releasing the others drained her calcium, so she doesn't have the strength to pass the other one. I don't know how she had all those eggs in her, on the x-ray, the ONE egg left, took up half her body.
: I hope the induced labor thing will work. I don't wanna lose my girl!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]