kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata food???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 16, 2001 at 22:29:23:

In Reply to: Sulcata food??? posted by Lindsey on May 16, 2001 at 14:56:34:

I wouldn't feed any fruit to a sulcata.
Only feed a small amount of carrot, squash, zuccini and instead add more leafy greens and natural foods.
Endive, escarole, chicory, dandelions are just some of the greens you can feed.
Hibiscus flowers and leaves, mulberry and grape leaves and opuntia cactus are all easy to grow if you live in a warm climate.And all are a great addition to a sulcatas diet.
I have several hibiscus plants, grown out of thje tortoise area.The torts get all the flowers off the plants daily and gobble them up. They get the leaves, when I trim the hibiscus.
They also get mulberry leaves from a tree in the yard. And I grow spineless opuntia cactus for them as well.

Apart from that, they spend a good part of the day grazing on the grass/weeds etc.

Grazing on grasses, clovers, vetches and other edible weeds/plants is the best diet.Supplemented with edible weeds/plants etc.

You can give the sulcata pretty much the run of the yard, as long as it's escape proof.
Or build a large enclosure, the bigger the better. As he/she will quickly outgrow it.
My 90 gram sulcata has an enclosure that measures 12' - 6'.
It will last him about two years, after that it will need expanding.
My 70lb and smaller ( 8") sulcatas have the whole yard. With a shed that they retreat to at night.

There are several places to find info/photos of enclosures, hope these help:

http://www.turtlecafe.net/habitats.htm

http://turtlestuff.com/enclosures.html

http://sulcatastation.homestead.com/index.html

Tell us a bit more about what sort of climate you live in, which state?
I'm lucky to live in Hawaii, where my tortoises can be housed outdoors year round.

For sulcatas the more space the better. These are active tortoises that require a lot of space.
The enclosure should have both sunny and shady areas, graze/grasses and other edible weeds etc and a night time shelter.

Hope this helps.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]