return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: NewSulcata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 03, 1998 at 14:37:33:

In Reply to: Re: NewSulcata posted by FREIGHT on December 03, 1998 at 14:01:30:

: :MARISSA, I just finished reading something saying the ceramic heaters werent so great, of course conflicting info can always be found.I'm concerned about the floor getting cold and leaving our little sulky subject to illness. Do you think that the ceramic fixture will combat this ? Please let me know?u will have to put the light in a fluorescent fixture (such as the same you would use for a fish tank) and then suspend the light so that it is no further than 12" from the tortoise's shell. Instead of the heat pad, I would recommend a ceramic infrared heat emitter bulb in a proper dome lamp. You can't use a regular dome lamp for these bulbs, you have to use one with either a ceramic or porcelain socket. Many of these supplies can be purchased by the above wholesaler as well. Please check out my sulcata care sheet for further information on care and housing, etc. Feel free to e-mail me privately to discuss any issues..good luck! - Marissa

Hi here's a link to the Bean Farm where I ordered my ceramic heat bulbs and kane pad from. This was for my 15lb sulcata, you must use a reostat with the kane pad. Even though I had a reostat and kept the Kane pad on a low setting I did have problems with it. My sulcata loved it, but the under belly heat seemed to disagree with her, she started producing alot of uric acid. I now have a pearlco
ceramic heat bulb 150 watt ( in the dome) in one corner of the room. This warms part of the room up and she can choose to ly under it or move away I have a thermometer on the wall under the bulb , near the floor but out of the torts reach, and another thermometer on the cooler side of the room so I always know what the temps are. .The pearlco ceramic heat bulbs come with instructions on how high it should be above the tortoise, depending on the wattage of the bulb.
Many people use Kane pads and have no problems, finding the exact conditions to suit my sulcata was quite a challenge!!But the pearlco works well for me.I put a comforter on the floor under the heat bulb!! The bulb is hung high enough so as not to be a fire hazard.This is just my experience with a kane pad, you might have better luck! I dont use UV lights or any other basking lights because she can go out during the day.So as well as the ceramic lamp you will need additional lights. I'll leave Marissa to help you with those!!
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]