kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: ... and here are pictures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 10, 2001 at 00:16:12:

In Reply to: ... and here are pictures posted by andy g on May 09, 2001 at 20:26:02:

My Russians ( one pair) have never tried to dig out.
They are very content in their enclosure, 20' -10'.
If you can try to make your enclosure a little bigger. Even if it's just a couple more feet, 8'-5'. Russians love to scoot around and explore.

Their enclosure has a lot of shade provided by a hedge which runs along the back wall.
Its under the hedge that they've each dug their night time hole. Both of them dug their hole next to a large rock. But at opposite ends of the enclosure from eachother! Every evening they go back to their holes for the night.

So provide plenty of nice shrubs for hiding under. Hibiscus is a good choice for shade and it's edible.
Some large rocks in shady areas under shrubs,for digging his hole next to!
And logs/plants etc.
Make it as interesting and big as possible, this will curb the urge for trying to escape!

Don't place any logs/rocks or plants near a wall, that they could use to climb on and out!

Although my two have never tried to dig out, I recommend you bury the walls at least 6".
You can also place paving stones on the ground around the inside walls to prevent digging.

I used fencing boards for the walls, just two boards high. Burried 6" and nailed to stakes every few feet.

Then I added a white fence on the outside and plants to make the enclosure an attractive addition to the yard.

For more photos/info check out these web sites.

http://www.tortoiselife.co.uk/dietandgarden.htm

http://turtlestuff.com/enclosures.html#Russians

Hope this helps. That's a nice tort you have there.
My male, Grizzly, just doesn't match up, he's a weird grizzled thing.
I guess that's why the lovely female Delyla bosses him around. And wants nothing to do with him!
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]