kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

outdoor enclosure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by andy g on May 09, 2001 at 20:13:15:

OK, I am going to build an outdoor enclosure for my 4 inch male Russian tortoise Fritz. He's been living indoors for about a year and it is time he moves out, especially with the energy crisis and all. Here are my plans: let me know what you think.

I have a plot of land that measures roughly 5 feet by 5.5 feet (it's not a perfect square). One side of this plot is our fence that seperates our yard from the neighbors, and the other is a concrete wall. I need to put in the other two walls (not sure how) plus I need to reinforce the fence to prevent escapes. I will then dig up all the crawling plants my mother has planted there (except for a couple shrubs) and replace them with a grazing mix from the Turtle Cafe. I'm not sure whether to use the general outdoor mix or the one specifically made for Russians. The area is in complete shade in the early morning and late evening, and varies from mostly sunny to "chunks" of sun throughout the rest of the day. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so it will be warm, sunny, and dry throughout late spring to early fall.

I'm not sure how to make the walls of the enclosure though. I was thinking of sinking planks of wood 12 inches into the soil, but I'm not certain how to go about doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of their Russian tortoise enclosures? Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]