return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Yellow Foots in Distress

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 01, 1998 at 22:47:05:

In Reply to: Yellow Foots in Distress posted by Yellow Rose on December 01, 1998 at 21:45:28:

: I have acquired a trio of the sweetest Yellow Foots. I don't know their age, but their weights are: Female #1 weights 4.5 lbs., Female #2 weighs 3.9 lbs. and Male #3 weighs 5.1 lbs. Female #1 has started what reminds me of star gazing. He just rocks his had back and forth and up and down. She acts like she is so out of it. She has not eaten in over a week. Female #2 turned her neck completely around and her eyes and nose are facing inside her shell. I was told this was Wry Neck. What in the world is that and what causes that? She also has not eaten. Male #3 had matted eyes that took me 10 days to finally get opened and cleaned. Upon opening his lids, it appeared that he had no eyeballs. The sockets were sunken in and bluish white, not bright black. So I thought he was blind. I started treating his eyes with Gentocin Durafilm. He seems disturbed by bright light - seems like his eyes are sensitive. After a few doses of this Gentocin his eyes now look normal. I am disturbed because these lovely creatures are not eating and feel like they are losing weight. I have been soaking them because they do not want to drink much water, especially the one with Wry Neck. I have taken them to the vet and he gave all three Vitamin B injections along with Panacur and Flagyl to give them. Has anyone heard of these types of symptoms in these sweet animals? Does anyone know what might help stimulate their appetites? I have also heard different stories about the temperature they should be kept at. The person I got them from said to keep them at 85 to 90 degrees. When it is that hot, they act like they're stiffling. However, a few people said they adapt real well to weather in East Texas and can be kept outdoors until it gets below 65 degrees. Can someone please help us? We love these animals and want to do the right thing but with all these conflicting "Texas Tales" it's hard to really know. Any help you can give would really be appreciated.

I have posted your questions on the Tortoise mailing lists, as I think your problems go beyond most of our experiences . I hope you will recieve replies by private email. There are two very good mailing lists to subscribe to, one is the Tortoise Trust mailing list which you can subscribe to at the link below.Another one is the turtle-l.
Send an email to. turtle-l@icomm.ca
Type the word Subscribe in the subject line, leave the message body blank. Once subscribed to these lists you will recieve and be able to ask for advise on tortoises , via email.There are a couple of people who are subscribed to the lists and post here.I am sure they will try and help also.Hang in there, Kindest regards, Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]