kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sulcata with ? low bone density

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter on April 30, 2001 at 01:47:16:

I have a 75 pound wild caught female sulcata that is about 12 years old, has lived in the US for about 6 years, and I have had her for about 8 months. I had her x-rayed for eggs (she's with a 9 year old male). Much to my surprise, she didn't have any eggs, but the vet said that her bone density was very low. Unfortunately, he wasn't super knowledgeable about tort's, and he suggested that maybe she needed Vitamin D injections. I am bringing her to a reptile vet next week, but I wanted you folk's opinion. I have learned a lot from this forum, and I thought I was giving her a good diet. I live in Southern California, and she gets oodles of sunshine. She gets fed about 1-2 pounds of opinita cactus/day, and a mixture of 1/2 timothy hay and 1/2 grocery greens (NO ICEBERG! It's a mixture of dark green, red and romaine lettuce, carrot tops along with small amounts of other greens). She has free acess to grass. I supplement her diet with Calcium powder and Kelp from the Turtle Cafe. She is a good eater, is energetic and doesn't appear ill:
Questions please:
1)Suggestions for her diet?
2)Does she need Vitamin D? oral? injectable?
3) I was kind of surprised that she did not have eggs, given her size and she has been with a male for 8 months. Is this unusual?
4) Thanks for any suggestions

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]