kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: COINHABITATION QUESTION

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Esther on April 29, 2001 at 22:57:43:

In Reply to: COINHABITATION QUESTION posted by REW on April 29, 2001 at 21:49:08:

Heather has summed it up very well. I would like to add that even some sulcatas sould be separated after a while. My Angel Baby and Chanel used to cohabit very sweetly together, they would frequently cuddle up to each other in one habitat, two cute sulcatas.

HOWEVER, at about 3 years of age, Chanel started to experience a bit of sexual maturity and we have had to separate them ever since due to injurious behavior. He would mount Angel Baby and dig his nails into her and it seriously damaged her shell, they would ram each other and he flipped her over on her back, he would go to bite her sometimes and would be snatched away in the nick of time. Witnessing this behavior in action or after the fact is painful to the tortoises and as a keeper, one feels awful about each occurance. My apartment is now a series of barricades. . . .

When they were first put together, Chanel was also resentful of all the attention that Angel got, and he would behave menacingly towards her in the very beginning. Only after about 8 months did he soften up towards her. But that means we as keepers only experienced about 2 years of "peaceful" cohabitation before we had to again be ever vigilant and barricade constantly. If you don't have the facilities to separate the tortoises when this begins to be an eventual necessity, you may want to reconsider getting another tortoise and instead just lavish your affection on the one you already have and spoil it rotten! They get big, and fast, so enjoy the baby years while you still have them! :)

: Hi, thanx for helping me out or trying to. I was wondering if theres a tortoise that will stay pretty small, dosen't cost tons of money(up to $100), dosen't hibernate, and can live with a baby sulcata(obviously until the sulcata grows up)?
: THANX

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]