kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Red-Footed Tortoise feeding schedule

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Ward on April 29, 2001 at 08:55:16:

In Reply to: Re: Red-Footed Tortoise feeding schedule posted by Tim S. on April 28, 2001 at 20:13:55:

yes thank you this helps alot ill just try to keep a close eye on hid weight and other things
i heard that it's better to for a red-foot tortoise hatchling to be a little hungry than totally full ill maybe post some pictures of his indoor and outdoor habitat
:
: : yes i have been to that site many times but wasnt sure if i should just give the hatchling like a cup of food or half a cup of food should i just go with my gut instinct andtry not to over feed ive been all over the internet and know what i can feed red-foots and all about calcium to phosporus levels and vitamin d3 and the only thing they didnt answer was amounts of food to feed your hatchling so if you could reply and help me on this topic it would be appreciated

:
: I had the exact same question when I got mine. I just tear the greens and cut fruits into small bits. I emailed Elizabeth (and Beasley) and she replied to feed a moderate amount. I am not sure what that means but I pretty much let the tortoise eat as much as it wants. It doesn't ever eat all I put down, and I would say what she eats usually amounts to a few tablespoons worth, although she's doing better all the time. I wouldn't worry about overfeeding if you feed her on the right schedule. Elizabeth told me to feed my tortoise every day for 6 months, and then switch to every other day for 6 months to 18 months (of age) and then to every third day. I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]