kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Leopard tort hatchling care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on April 25, 2001 at 01:08:30:

In Reply to: Leopard tort hatchling care posted by Luke on April 24, 2001 at 21:09:50:

Luke, you can do well with one of these tortoises where ever you live. I have a 12 year old that is roughly 8 inches long. You could easily house one of these indoors very properly.
As far as hatchling care goes you can easily house a hatchling in a sweater box for the first couple of years. I keep mine on indoor/outdoor carpeting and provide a 4 inch diameter 1/4 inch high water dish. I cut a depression in the carpeting so the hatchling can reach the water bowl easier. I provide a 100w Active uv heat bulb roughly 8 inch above the substrate. The sweater box is 24 inches long with the bulb at one end. This gives plenty of room for the little guy to self regulate. You want to provide a range of 75 to 100 F.
Feeding is easy. you want to provide dark leafy greens and you want to do this in variety. Spinach is the only green you should limit and no one food should be fed in excess. You want to mix it up as much as possible. Calcium should be provided ad lib in the form of calcium carbonate (my preference) and a multivitamin can be used once a week but is not necessary if you are varying the diet as much as possible. (I use Centrum, crushing the tablets).
(btw, I have some nice hatchlings available)
Ed

: Could anyone give me some help on leopard tort hatchling care? I want one, but need ot know how to care for it proparly first. Also are these OK beginner torts?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]