kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Tortoise NEED INFO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tina on April 22, 2001 at 16:49:09:

In Reply to: Re: Russian Tortoise NEED INFO posted by Leslie on July 03, 2000 at 12:56:44:

: I just purchased a russian tortoise. He seems healthy and I would like to keep him that way, I have a few questions - if ANYONE could help...

: 1. How much do you feed them a day (and in a sitting?)
i usually just keep something fresh in her dish
: 2. I have seen the "Daylight" light bulbs on the market. I have a reptile heater under the aquarium and that is where he sleeps at night, but I need the light for (sun simulation) during the parts of the day (when I am working) to subsidize him. What size wattage is appropriate.
u should purchase a repti-glow florescent UVB source.
: 3. How warm do you need to keep his environment.
make sure he has a place to hide, water to soak in, nice dry place to burrow and a source of clean drinking water just in case
: 4. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a hiding place for him... Is this adequate for now (he is about 4 in (diameter)
it will work for now russians don't do well in aquariums. try a kiddy pool for more room.
: 5. How can I tell how old he is?
if u didn't hatch him u can't. but ur seems young to me
: 6. When we take him outside, he eats grass and dandelion and weed leaves. None of which have been treated with any pesticides. Is this OK for him to do this?
try to make him a pen to play in with veggies and stuff u grow. azelias r toxic dandilions r great. u should join a list. turtles_tortoises_lizards_oh_my@yahoogroups.com is good my russian seemed to pick the right stuff to eat but u have to remember they r not plants native to where they r from.
: 7. I live in the Rocky Mountains during the summer we are quite warm here but- can you take the little critter out in the cold, at all? if so - snow? for short periods of time? Or is it better to keep them inside.
my russian loved to take walks in the rain. as long as u keep it short the cold will be ok.
: 8. How often do they need to re-hydrate themselves? What is the best way to do that?
ur russian should soak once or twice a week. the food they eat usually gives them enough water but keep a clean water souce available
: 9. How often should they have baths?
the big wigs say not to use detergents but when soaking just doesn't cut it just softly scrub with a very soft toothbrush
: 10. I feel bad, I work during the day, and have to leave him inside in his home (10 gal aquarium) I do get him out when I come home and on weekends to exercise and get some sun and such. Is leaving him in his home inside for long periods OK?
i would upsize asap. give him room to wonder, stuff to climb on. no animal is going to be completley happy in captivity so just try to learn what he likes.
: 11. And last of all.... How long do they live (on average?
their average life span is about 25 to 30 years but i have seen them live to 100 years if well cared for.
: I know NOTHING about reptiles, but I have been doing some research... and I am trying.

: THANKS SO MUCH TO WHOEVER ANSWERS!!! I could use some advice and any would be much appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]