kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HELP!! FORCE FEED STAR?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tcc on April 19, 2001 at 22:50:11:

In Reply to: Re: HELP!! FORCE FEED STAR? posted by ann on April 19, 2001 at 20:22:41:

: heyah,
: there is no eye infection that i know of. she didn't say anything, according to her i get him to open his eyes more when he's back with me. he opens the good side during soaks, both sometimes in the sun and both when it rains.

Hi Ann,
I would mention the eyes not being open to the vet and perhaps they can evaluate if there is a secondary infection going on that could be treated topicaly.
Its good that he opens his eye during soaks. Can you put some really smelly pelleted food in with him when he is soaking and see if that will tempt him?

: yup i've seen him gulp water bet 8-18 swallows but that was about 4 days back.

Well this is good news :)

: he's about slightly bigger than 2 inches. he's pulled out the tube about two weeks back, it's just sryinge feeding and he swallows it but he tears and it sometimes bubbles out his nose. he opens his mouth for me but it takes 3 hours to feed 3mls!! any other stuff you need to know? thanx.
: take care,
: ann

Oh my, just a tiny one. He sure is on lots of injections. Some vets think that the B vits may increase appetite, shame that's not what your seeing.
Are you keeping track of his weight? Such extended tubing sessions sound so stressful. I wonder if you backed off for a few days (provided he was drinking) that he may get relaxed more and hungry on his own. Also, have you considered putting anything into his mouth that he used to love, and seeing if it will spur an interest?
You much have a really tough baby there. I inherited three little ones your size about six months ago and they seem so delicate, its kind of comforting to hear that yours is such a tough little guy.
Have you checked out the Star tortoise list? Ralph is one of the ppl I pay close attention to his posts a he breeds these and has done well with the,.
Im pasting the link below just to be sure.
tcc :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]