kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: russians and box turtles together?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tcc on April 18, 2001 at 22:18:07:

In Reply to: russians and box turtles together? posted by charla on April 18, 2001 at 15:31:00:

: Thanks for the info. I checked out your website and mine does not look as striking as your Easterns. I do have one more question for anybody.......been reading alot this morning. I also have a Russian Tortoise who is in the same yard. So far the box and russian have bumped into one another but they pretty much ignore the other. I keep reading not to mix species.....am I doing the right thing by keeping them both? I just got the russian about 2 weeks ago because I thought my boxie was gone, and guess what, found the box the same day!! I would consider finding a new home for the russian if it were best for them..........thanks you guys!

Hi,
I really have to caution you about mixing species. Russians are an arid species and almost always wild caught. Box turtle have a differnt diet and require humidity. Both animals harbor diseases and parasites that the other has no resistance to.
I would provide seperate housing and dont soak them in the same thing especially.
There is a Russian Tortoise list that has many skilled keepers that im certain you could find a buyer or adopter should you decide the upkeep on two entirely differnt animals is too much work.
Im pasting the url below ok?
tcc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]