kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Annie, please get a life, Im not debating anything with you :) n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tcc on April 18, 2001 at 21:53:10:

In Reply to: Re: tcc suddenly a "rehabber" now? License # please? N/P! posted by Annie Lancaster-TortoiseAid on April 18, 2001 at 19:08:57:

: :Im not set up to or desire to be licensed myself with wildlife in general (I do have to take the rabies vaccinations

: Why, might you bite someone?

: Pre-exposure rabies vaccinations are done in a series (of 3 injections over a period of weeks) and are not required of all TX citizens, especially those NOT actively involved in mammalian wildlife rehabilitation and management. Booster immunizations are only required if an individual's serum titer level drops below a certain level.

: :this area is under a quarantine).

: All areas have quaranitine and vaccination requirements. This is nothing new...

: : Basically there are no perks to being licensed.

: No perks? I guess that depends on your definintion of a "perk." For me, a perk is seeing an animal whether threatened or endangered (or just native) recover and go on to live a wonderful life. To alleviate pain, fear, anxiety, starvation, and illness. Another perk is having the education, training and experience to be trusted with state and federal wildlife. Those are all the "perks" a true rehabber needs. Perks for you means getting money by your own admission. How sad.

: :No state funding -only some silly laws/ politics

: Silly laws??? I consider releasing animals to the wild by persons with no education, wildlife management skills, etc. which can (and does) harm wild populations, disturbing (or destroying) genetically unique populations of certain species, the introduction of (often fatal) diseases (including RABIES), release of non-native species, imprinting of wildlife, and related issues to be pretty damned important. No state funding here. I care more about wildlife than I do about getting a check for what I do, as do other rehabbers.

: :in regards to releasing turtles that don't qualify due to the history :of where the majority come from anyway.

: Wildlife rehabilitation is much more than just about "releasing animals." The history of each animal is unique.

: :The folks in the wild caught trade who collect these animals & keep :them longer then they can keep healthy to sell, wouldnt send them
: :anywhere that they were required to be documented anyway.

: Wrong. When they're confiscated by customs authorities, humane officials, Fish and Game wardens, law enforcement, etc. etc. where do you think those animals go to?

: You guessed it...LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATORS.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]