kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: star not eating after surgery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Annie Lancaster-TortoiseAid on April 13, 2001 at 22:14:19:

In Reply to: Re: star not eating after surgery posted by ann on April 13, 2001 at 09:22:20:

Hi, this soon after a surgical procedure like that, it's WONDERFUL that he is passing urine. Hydration status is critically important to assist the body to clear the system of anesthesia through the renal system. At this point it is far more important than food.

I would just offer items that are his favorites, and make certian that he feels no stress...all this has really been traumatic for a tortoise to go through, and two weeks without food if he is hydrated, and has good weight is not going to harm him.

He may be accustomed to feeling full with the use of the stomach tube. It is easy for a tortoise to quickly become dependent on one of those. They don't realize it themselves...they've just become accustomed to not feeling hungry. Instead of forcing him...give him a few days on his own. Offer green items...sometimes something like a grape or hibiscus leaf or flower will get them to start showing interest.

He may need to get good and hungry before he does eat alone, you can also after a couple of days of just leaving him alone...try to hand feed normal food items.

If he at all appears in distress, that is another story...and then, consult your vet for further guidance.

I hope this helps!

Annie

He might also not be hungry if he's had certain antibiotics, a lot of meds curb appetite and tortosies refuse to feed.

: : Hi all,
: : thanx ever so much for all your help and advice regarding Samy's surgery. he's now back with me after pulling out his throat tube at the vets and is still refusing to eat. i've separated him from Sophie and soak and sun him like i did before his surgery, but he just doesn't want to eat. i'm NOW currently force feeding him with bottled baby food like apple and strawberry, sweet potato. he's passed a lot of urine since coming back but hasn't moved his bowels at all. it's been more than two weeks since the surgery. please help? thanx
: : ann

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]